Come Join Us At Moka
Open Position: Assistant Chocolatier / Chocolate Maker
Location: Moka Origins factory, Honesdale PA
About Moka Origins
Since 2015, Moka Origins has partnered with coffee and cacao producing communities by providing agricultural training, tree planting partnerships and directly sourcing beans at fair prices. The mission of Moka Origins is to use chocolate and coffee as a vehicle for social change inorder to break the poverty cycle for farmers while restoring the environment. We do this by planting thousands of trees each year, operating agricultural training programs, and sourcing coffee and cacao at prices that earn farmers a living wage income. As a specialty coffee roaster and bean-to-bar chocolate manufacturer, we are proud to uphold the highest quality and ethical integrity with all our products.
Our Factory Store and Cafe
Located on the outskirts of Honesdale, PA, the Moka Origins chocolate factory cafe and retail store provides a unique opportunity for the public. This space is designed to invite people into the special world of craft chocolate make and coffee roasting, while enjoying the sensorial experience which the manufacturing process creates. Visitors are able to enjoy our menu, samples and shopping experience, and also partake in tours, private events and encourage visitors to explore the factory on their own.
The Assistant Chocolatier / Chocolate Maker will assist in moulding chocolate bars, ingredient preparations, hand-wrapping chocolate bars, and other confectionary work. Many of the tasks are repetitive, and the ideal candidate is detail-oriented, focused, and eager-to-learn. Must be able to lift 50 pounds and stand on feet entire day. Training is provided, though culinary experience a plus.
Perks available including paid holiday/vacation days, free Moka products, daily lunch, weekly yoga class, professional development and possible travel opportunities to trade shows and events for longterm staff.
Compensation: Hourly, DOE $14 - $17
- Requires work in a food-safe manufacturing and retail store environment. Requires the ability to lift equipment and products (up to 50 lbs).
- Requires reliable transportation to and from work/office, so you can show up on time and leave on time.
- May sometimes require weekend work and early morning or late evening work
- Requires the ability to be mobile throughout entire shifts – including some bending, squating, kneeling, standing, and crouching.
- Assist our Head Chocolatier and Production team on achieving daily manufacturing goals
- Prepare chocolate materials for daily use and respect strict organizational systems
- Use chocolate tempering machines to mold chocolate bars and top with inclusions
- Unmold chocolate bars and manage inventory
- Support wrapping and packaging our finished products.
- Facilitate cleaning and sanitization of space, tools and equipment
- Training is provided however experience in chocolate or food service is a plus
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to work with a small team
- Customer service skills
- Personally and professionally interested in a culinary career and chocolate making
- Excited about consumer education, community development, clean food, ethical sourcing, sustainable food systems, and specialty food and small-batch manufacturing.
- Ability to multitask, work independently, and thrive in fast-paced, physically demanding work
- Able to maintain a high-energy and a friendly attitude
- Ability to enthusiastically help achieve production goals with a team and stakeholders of all ages, race, gender, identities, sexual orientations, cultures, socio-economic backgrounds, political affiliations, documentation status, and abilities
- Knowledge of, or a desire to learn about chocolate, confectionery, local and global food systems and cocoa and coffee supply chains.
- Demonstrate a can-do attitude and problem-solving skills; able to respond to challenges quickly, efficiently, and appropriately
Please submit a resume, cover letter (or any creative alternative that highlights your qualifications for this position), and two references to firstname.lastname@example.org